Thursday, November 19, 2009

Update on Ella

Not too long ago, I made a statement on one of my posts about how all the people on facebook do not need to neglect their blog. It has occurred to me just tonight that I am guilty of that very thing. I realized I have not posted anything since I have been out of the hospital! For that I'm sorry, as I tell everyone that they can keep up with our family through my blog! So, here's what's been happening...


Last Friday morning I woke up early expecting to leave the hospital sometime that day. Though I was still in pain, I was feeling better. Jason went to check on Ella before he left for work. He came back by my room and told me that she had had some dips in her heart rate, which is one reason I had to deliver her early. When Jason left I became really upset and cried myself to sleep. When I woke up later in the morning, my mother and I went to see Ella, and her sweet nurse explained that those dips were very common in premies because they sometimes forget to breathe as they are eating or sometimes for no reason at all, and that sometimes they just need to be touched or if it continued, be given caffeine as a stimulant. Wow, did I feel better. I don't think I would have such a hard time if I were given explanations in the beginning. I am learning to ask lots of questions. The nurse assured me Ella was doing great, and they upped her food, as she was tolerating everything well.

Saturday morning came and, for who knows what reason, I found myself hysterical about Ella. Jason once again reminded me of how much Jesus loves Ella, and how He had brought us too far to take away our little girl. I began to think of everything He had brought us through. I began to think of everything that had happened, and how I even went to Ecuador when I was pregnant! I couldn't help but to think about how these things had not been in vain, and how the Lord protected in each situation. I thought of all the events that had taken place in the hospital, and how He had His hand on us the whole time. Then I began to experience such a peace. Later that day, I held her for the first time, and I realized even more than ever that everything we had experienced was worth it. We prayed for years to have this sweet baby girl, and here she was our precious, tiny gift from the Father. The Bible speaks of how the Lord loves to give His children good gifts, and aside from God sending His Son, this is the best gift Jason and I could ever receive.

I woke up Sunday morning praising the Lord for all He had done. Though my heart was light, I thought of our church and how I missed being at home, especially since revival was beginning. Revival had already begun in our lives, however. When you come to the place where you have no choice but to depend on the Lord, it makes you want to love and serve Him more. I pray that we can stay focused on Him as Ella gets stronger and even as we go home. I pray that we remember how much He has done for us, and we change our lives and strive to live accordingly. Once again, Ella had another great day.

Monday was the goal for us; the date we had set for Ella to be born. I thought of how we almost made it, and how we made it further than many thought. Again, we praise God and are thankful for the excellent doctors and nurses surrounding us. They have become like family. I thought of how blessed we were to have such a healthy child from the beginning. I probably mentioned this in my last post, but Ella did not have to have any assistance breathing nor was she on any medications when she was first born, which is not always the case with any newborn, but especially with premies. They did place a tube of oxygen (that had the same flow as room air-what you and I breathe) in her nose just to help her remember to breathe. Monday they removed the tube to see if she would breathe on her own, and she has done great with the change. Monday is also the day they took her out from under the light that helps with jaundice, and it's ALSO the day I held my sweet girl for the second time. Jason could not stand it! He was scared the whole time, and ever since he has discouraged me from holding her explaining that she is too little! He is such a daddy now, and he says he doesn't want to hold her until she is at least 6 pounds. I have a feeling he will change his mind... :) Monday was also the day I finally got out of the hospital. The doctors were reluctant because my blood pressure was still high, but they decided that would be an ongoing battle for a while. It's funny...I had been so ready to leave the hospital, but when the day arrived, I cried thinking of how I would no longer be just around the corner from Ella! Again, we thank God for The Ronald McDonald House!

Tuesday Ella was a week old. In ways it seems like she was born yesterday, and in other ways, I feel as if she has been in the NICU for months. I look at her little, little body and am so amazed at God's handywork. I think of Jesus holding her in His hands, and how one touch from Him keeps everything working as it should. Ella had her first ultrasound of her brain, a routine practice with premies, and we thank the Lord above that everything came back normal! She continued to do well Tuesday, and when we went back for our late night visit, the lady at the desk told us she had been moved to Level 2, the level right before she goes home! WOW, God! We anticipate several more weeks, and are hoping they don't rush her. We want her to have all the time she needs before we go home. But what a huge step! This is where they will start trying to teach her to bottle feed, and where they will begin to see if she can hold her own temperature to be in a regular bed instead of the incubator. Again, we are praying for huge strides forward every day, and are hoping to be home by Christmas. Everyone says with premies often it is 3 steps forward and 5 steps back. But we expect great things from our Father, and are excited about Ella continuing to progress.

Wednesday came and Jason and I had to adjust to the fact that though Level 2 meant progression, it also meant less one on one time as far as nurses are concerned. It is quite different that what we grown accustomed to! The doctor upped her food, as she seemed to be tolerating things well, and the day was very uneventful. When it comes to the NICU, that is the best kind of day! Ella did have her hearing test on Wednesday and she passed! Thank you, Jesus!

When we went for our morning visit on Thursday, we were delighted to find that they had removed Ella's IVs. She was continuing to improve, and again they increased her feedings. However, yesterday afternoon when Jason and my mother visited, they thought her little tummy was swollen. The nurse measured it, and sure enough, it was. Ella's doctor (who we LOVE) came to check on her, and she thought it was just air. She ordered an x-ray just to be sure that Ella did not have an infection. Her doctor told us a couple days earlier that this is the stage where the risk of infection is a little higher as the food is increased. Though the x-ray came back normal, I was still beside myself. Being a mother is so scary! The doctor discovered that the nurse had not been venting her after her feedings, and that she thought she just needed to get rid of the air in her stomach. She assured me that it was probably nothing, and that she would be better over the next couple of days. Needless to say when we went back last night there was a sign on her crib saying "Please Vent Me After Feeding!" They promised to continue to watch her, but we woke up this morning anxious to go check on her!

We found our pretty girl fast asleep this morning. The doctor came by and told us that Ella was better today. They increased her food all the way up to her maximum amount today, and, again, she seems to be tolerating things really well. Bro. Barry came for a nice visit this afternoon, and through his prayer, I was reminded that the Lord has kind and loving hands. I always pray that He holds Ella in His hands, but I forget sometimes what that means, and how special that is. Bro. Barry also prayed that not only did we feel God's Presence, but that Ella would too. This brought tears to my eyes. It never occurred to me that she could be aware of the Father, but the very thought of this gave me so much comfort! I am thankful that the Lord provides wisdom and comfort to His children through other people!

This afternoon the nurses gave her a suppository to help her tummy. When that kicked in she felt much better and Jason and I literally watched her stomach go down in front of our very eyes! We felt much better, and were able to enjoy a nice dinner with my mother. I will close for now, as it is time to practice Kangaroo Care with my little one! I would like to again say thank you for everything including lifting us up in prayer. Please continue to pray for Ella to grow stronger and healthier, and for us a family.

***FOR MORE PICS OF ELLA, CHECK OUT LORI'S BLOG***
(Just click on Foreman Family under my list of friends on my blog page.)

6 comments:

The Wilson's said...

All I can say is WONDERFUL!!! Our God is doing AWESOME things every second!!! So glad to hear the good report!

Lori said...

Even though I already knew all this - I loved reading about how good God has been and all of Ella's great progress!!

I also saw that you changed your blog title - like that!

Karen said...

WOW!! I am so glad everything is going so well. I know you have your days, but don't get discouraged. God has brought yall so far already. I love the part about Barry praying for Ella to feel God's presence. Think about it though, she may know His presence more than we do b/c at this stage only He knows how to really communicate with her - even if its just gently reminding her to breathe. :) Thanks so much for the update. I have had several friends up this way praying for you as well, and they have asked how things were going. If you dont' mind, I'll direct them here so they can read for themselves how awesome God is! May all three of you have a wonderful week and rejoice in the many blessings god is sending your way. Love yall!

Unknown said...

Hey guys!! We missed you today at dinner :( Craig says he wants one of those famous cheese ball things that you make, after you get home :) We had a good dinner, but it wasnt the same without you and Jay here. Baby Ab's was with us and of course Brady was jealous,lol. I told Brady that I cant wait til Ab's and Ella get old enough to beat him up,lol lol. Anyway, we love you guys and cant wait to have all three of you home. We call Maw Maw and get updates every day. If you need anything,done hesitate to ask, or if you just need to talk, Im just a call away. We continue to pray for your health and Ella's health and for Jay's safe travel back and forth to P'cola. Give Ella big hugs and kisses and tell her Aunt Stephy cant wait to meet her.

Michelle said...

I am so glad Ella is doing so great!! She is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! I know God is watching out for her and her mommy and daddy!! During this time she is in the NICU...REST, REST and get MORE rest!! Trust me, when Emmie came home from the NICU, I IMMEDIATLY realized how right everyone was to tell me to rest while she was being taken care of there. You will certainly realize how much YOU need to heal and rest before you take her home. I didn't realize you had a vertical incision in your uterous. Emmie got stuck too and had her head literally "locked" under my rib cage and my uterous had to have an additional cut also. At least that's what my Dr. said, don't know if that meant vertical or not, probably, all I know is I pray for YOU daily, as those C-Sections (especially after the hard time with the pregnancy) are HORRIBLE and take a long long time to recover. Love you guys!!

Heather said...

Praying for you and your new little family. God is Good