Monday, November 30, 2009

God is good all the time

Since we have been here, there are moments when I feel like time is dragging its feet. Other times, I can not believe how fast things are moving. One of my goals is to stay current on my blog and keep everyone informed of Ella's progress, but another week has gone by and I have plenty to tell. So here are more updates on our sweet girl!

Saturday the 21st was Jason's mother's birthday. She came and spent the afternoon with us, then later that evening, I gave Ella a bath for the first time, which was pretty scary. It was a pretty special day for us. And little did we know, the whole week would be filled with special moments and lots of firsts.

Sunday my Daddy came to visit, and we went out to lunch as a family for the first time in months. We had another day of blessings from the Father, and Sunday night, Jason held his little girl for the first time. I can not even explain to you how I felt when he was looking down at her snuggled in his arms. He is already a great daddy, and I can't wait to watch him grow as a father.

Monday, Ella was 3 lbs. which meant we could finally put some clothes on her! My mother and I had fun picking out something for her to wear for the first time, and then my mama got to hold her for the first time. Another moment I won't forget. My mother already talks about taking Ella to the park and teaching her to cook. My prayer is that Ella has many, many years with her grandparents doing lots of fun things together.

Tuesday, we bottle fed her for the first time, which was a huge step as she had only been feeding through a tube. This is sort of a milestone. We began trying with 2 bottles a day, one per 12 hour shift, so as not to tire her out. As I've mentioned before, it's hard work for a premie to suck, swallow, and breathe at the same time.
As she gets more comfortable with this, they will begin to increase using the bottle for more feedings, and that is one of the main requirements before we go home. We pray that she continues to gain weight and get stronger so, again, maybe we can be home by Christmas.

Wednesday, Mrs. Myra and Grandaddy came to visit again. This time, Jason's mother got to hold her. I have been lucky enough to witness these special moments, and for that I am so thankful. With every moment that passes, every milestone reached, every first...I am so amazed by the Lord's goodness, and my cup runneth over with love and joy for our Father as well as for my baby.

Thursday brought a different kind of Thanksgiving. It was one of the most special days that I can remember. Thanksgiving meant a lot of different things this year, and though we were thankful for so many things, we were not excited about being away from home. But home came to us! My Daddy, Aunt Sandra, Uncle Jack, Lori, Ben, and sweet little man Jack, came to join us in Pensacola (my mother was already here:) and brought one of the biggest and best Thanksgiving dinners I can remember! They rented a hotel room with a kitchen and a table, and we had one of the nicest dinners imaginable! I get teary-eyed just thinking about it. What a special, special family I have! There was one important person missing though, but it sure was helpful that she was only a mile away, and I know she will be with us next year. Even little man Jack said, "I want baby Ella." I can't wait for him and the rest of my family to meet her! Not to mention all our friends...After dinner, Jason and I went for our nightly visit and Ella finished her whole bottle for the first time! What an appropriate end to the day! To the Sansoms and the Foremans you will NEVER EVER be able to understand what Thursday meant to us, and we love you so much. Thank you for everything you have been and everything you have done during this time. You have no idea what having you as our family means.

My Daddy sacrificed a day of hunting, and spent the night Thursday night to stay with Mama Friday for Jason and I to go home for the day. J and I got up about 4:30 Friday morning (yes, there were already people lined up at the mall across the street!), and we went to see Ella before heading to Andalusia. When we got home, I was so happy to see my pets! Me, Tip, Happy, and Maisy sat in the recliner and watched a movie while J worked. (I was instructed not to lift a finger...) It was so great being at home, but it also reminded me of how much we have to do before Ella comes home. I know the Lord will help us work it out. He has taken care of everything else. Friday afternoon, Jason and I went to Lori and Ben's to watch the ballgame. It was nice to be able to relax, but after a quick visit to the Sansoms and the Fores after the game, Jason and I were ready to get back to our little one! When we got back, Mother (after MUCH convincing) and Daddy headed back to Andalusia, and Jason and I spent the rest of the weekend doing a lot of sleeping and spending time with Ella. My mom came back yesterday prepared to spend another week baby-sitting me and Ella. Thank God for wonderful Mamas!:)

Today has brought more changes. I had a checkup this morning, and my bp was 114/68!
Dr. Dobak decreased my meds, and we will see where to go from here. Ella has been doing excellent in holding her own temperature, so today they took her out of the incubator, and put her in a regular crib! She finished another whole bottle again today, which makes the fifth time so far, and we are still praying for her to
continue to progress. God IS good ALL the time, and all the time God is good. Please remember us in your prayers, and I look forward to posting that we will be coming home soon! Until then...

9 comments:

Heather said...

I can't wait til you get to bring that little baby girl home and love her ALL the time. I know you are so ready. Praying for you all.

Heather said...

I can't wait til you get to bring that little baby girl home and love her ALL the time. I know you are so ready. Praying for you all.

Lori said...

We had a great Thanksgiving too!!

Probably heading that way today - I'll call soon!

Karen said...

WHOO HOO!!! God is awesome! I'm so excited over Ella's progress. Thanks for the updates. :)

Lynn Castleberry said...

I'm glad it isn't just my Jason. :) I am so thrilled to hear how much progress little Ella is making. I will continue to pray for more progress, so that you three can enjoy your first Christmas together at home. That will be a present in itself. :)

Lynn Castleberry said...

I'm glad it isn't just my Jason. :) I am so thrilled to hear how much progress little Ella is making. I will continue to pray for more progress, so that you three can enjoy your first Christmas together at home. That will be a present in itself. :)

Mandy Johnson said...

You are truly blessed to have the family that you do! God knows just what you need and when you need it! So excited about Ella's progress! She is doing wonderful, I think someone wants to come home too! And you are so right about Momma's, I do not know what or who I would be today without mine!
Mandy Johnson

DeAnne DuBose said...

I'm so glad that she is doing so well!!! I can't wait to meet her and give you a big hug! Love you too!

The Wilson's said...

Keep the good news coming!!! I will continue to pray for you all!