Thursday, November 27, 2008

Alabama vs. Auburn

Well, I hope everyone has had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Do we not all have SO much to be thankful for? I woke up early this morning with a particular verse on my mind. "Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good." Yes, he is. This is my very favorite time of the year. Beginning in September, through the end of the year, I always get this "boost" in my spirit. I love the beautiful colors of fall, and the brisk of the breeze. It seems I recognize the Lord's creation for what it is-majestic and amazing. Of course, with the holidays approaching, I get excited about the family and the food. Today was relaxing and peaceful, but, of course, we miss Ben. I hope the next two weeks pass quickly. Not to wish my life away, but we always have a lot of fun when Ben is here. Who would have thought that Lori and I would end up with two best friends, and we get to vacation together, and have holidays. . .I am so happy that soon they will be about 2 minutes away! Yes, how lucky for Ben and J that Lori and I took a chance with them. Just joking. . .though sometimes we forget, WE are the lucky ones. And there was no chance; I believe with all my heart that the Lord led us together. Just another thing to be thankful for.

Well, I have heard a rumor about a big game coming up. Me, I'm not much of a fan. Well, really let me explain. I have for a while now professed to be an Alabama fan. But, as some of you may know, I spent a LOT of time in Auburn, and even attended the University briefly. The truth is, I LOVE AUBURN! ( I can hear the loud gasps from here!) I mean I love everything about it! I have so many good memories from there, and I think the town is warm and beautiful. However, my first married football season, I was informed by 3 particular people (guess who) that since I did not care about football at all (not care about it. . . I didn't even understand it), I may as well pull for Alabama. (I will never forget one Iron Bowl spent at the Foreman's, I chose to wear my Auburn attire. Wow, what was I thinking? Ben told me I had to change shirts, or leave; and he WAS NOT kidding!) After LONG conversations about end zones and touchdowns, many angry afternoons, and pure ram-my-head-in-the-wall hours of boredom, I knew I was facing a lost cause. I soon gave in, as my Saturday nights were filled with misery, and ended in drastic despair, if all the yelling, throwing, and praying did not pull the Crimson Tide through. So, here I am. A self proclaimed "Alabama fan" who loves her old comfortable Auburn shirts. What can I say? Go Bama? . . .

14 comments:

Lori said...

FINALLY... we got you to start pulling for the "right" team!! Don't you feel more a part of all of us now?! Plus, it is IMPOSSIBLE to pull for both teams and that was what you were trying for a while! Can't wait for the big game. Hopefully, Jay and I won't have any reason to act TOO bad!! ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
P.S. We're going to get rid of those AU shirts eventually!! We'll get you some comfy Bama shirts! They look MUCH better anyway!

Tina K Rogers said...

Carrie, thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into that. I've been on adapex off and on, but think i need a change. After this week of vaacation and great food, i'll defintiely need a boost! Sad to hear you have changed to Alabama, but that's ok. I know it's still in your heart to pull for Auburn. I sometimes find myself having a little Georgia in me especially with that HOT coach they have!!! i'm sure scott would love to get together and hunt or fish with Jason. I'll let him know. He went this morning and will be going probably everday til the season is over. I make him stay at home on Tuesday and Thursdays so I can workout w/ Robert. Have a good weekend and WAR EAGLE.. Just picture in your head the eagle flying down over the field before the game... oh it just gives me that feeling and I LOVE IT!!!

DeAnne DuBose said...

Carrie!!!!! How are you?? That is awesome about your weight loss!!!! I'm so proud of you!!!!! Glad to hear you still love your job and that you guys are doing well. Thanks for calling me the crafty one, but girly you are too!! Call me when you get a chance and we will catch up. I have so much to tell you! I miss you so much!
Dee

Shonna said...

I was soooo excited to hear that you and Jason kept the little ones...I had been wondering how they were going to handle that, but didn't want to ask you about it and put y'all under "pressure" when it came to choosing age groups! Anyway, YEAAAAA!!!

We do serve an awesome GOD and I am thankful daily for the life, family, friends, etc. that HE has given me to enjoy:) When I was putting Caroline to bed tonight and asked what she wanted to thank JESUS for, she said "my church" - that is a GREAT something to be thankful for!!!

I don't guess I will ever be watching the Auburn/Bama game with you as it is very hard for me to watch it in mixed company, but I am sending a big WAR EAGLE your way (please share it with Jason, Ben, and Lori)!!!

Love you and see you on Sunday!

Julie said...

Don't worry....as years pass by you'll become more knowledgable about the game of football and you'll enjoy it even more-my prediction! I'm so glad that Jason, Ben, and Lori talked you into wearing the "RIGHT" colors! And,that was sweet of you to "give-in".

As Lori said, there are plenty of comfy Alabama shirts that you can wear, so you'll just need to retire the other team's so-called comfy shirts.

We have "yet" to attempt Sunday School at Hopewell. Are you and Jason teaching the class for JP's age group?

Micalyn said...

Carrie....I am soooo glad to see you on hear. As you can see I haven't blogged for a few months....life is crazy! Eventually I will update my page.....maybe after finals!!! I can't wait to be your neighbor...I wish it would hurry up and get here!!!!

Karen said...

Carrie! How are you? Here are some tips for football season (now that it is almost over)from a former football hater:
1.) Decide if you really want to understand the game. If not, simply declare 'I hate football' and move on to other things. Normal people will understand. Others will get over it.
2.) If you do want to understand the game, watch one by yourself. It is amazing what you can pick up without all the emotions. Also, find a teacher - someone who understands the game but is not obsessed to the point of borderline mental disorders. Pick a game no one cares about (ie. non-SEC) that way they can tell you what is happening w/o sporadic screaming fits. Make them understand that if you ask a question you only want an answer to that question, not a discourse on the history of football, the differences in regulations for pro vs. college, etc. Keep it simple. And as Juile posted, the more you watch the more sense it makes. However,if you decide to just hate it that is okay!

Heather said...

Carrie you sound like me, my husband is trying to teach me the point of all the blah, blah to the game. Glad Lori was a good influence to you. ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!! What a wonderful game it was

The Wilson's said...

I love your christmas background on your blog! Guess I missed that one. I am an Auburn fan also(you can't deny the team) and hated to lose but thought Big Red, played a good game. I don't know what our players were trying to do. This is also my favorite time of year, it is too bad hunting season falls during this time.
I often think of all the fun we had in Auburn. It is fun to think back at all the stuff we did.

Beth said...

Carrie,
I love to read your blog! Your sweet personality shines through the words!!! I hate you decided to go for the WRONG team!

Congratulations on your weight loss and good luck! I am excited to read more!

Shonna said...

Sweet, sweet pic of you and J:)

Love you!

Michelle said...

Awww, you have been suckered, Carrie...don't listen to them, you wear your Auburn shirts with pride! LOL :)

Lori said...

Time for something new, Dee!

Shonna said...

Carrie, can you get Lori to update your blog for us?!?!?!