Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Memory ...






So, yes, I know...I blogged about music last week. I can't help it...

As I thought of what to do for today's post, I began to think of memories in general...how they are special little treasures that you get to keep forever...how nobody can take them from you, and, if you're lucky, they last a lifetime.

So...

Instead of one specific memory, I will share with you several special (or ordinary) events that have happened to me over the years, as well as the songs that I will always relate to each little piece of my puzzle...

FOR INSTANCE...
*swinging during recess..."Like a Prayer" Madonna

*first boyfriend in junior high..."I Love the Way You Love Me" John Michael Montgomery

*first love..."I Swear" All For One, "Please Forgive Me" Bryan Adams, and anything by Chicago

*cheerleading days..."Stayin' Alive" The BeeGees

*junior prom..."Imagine" John Lennon

*ahh, spring break..."Champagne Supernova" Oasis

*getting ready with the girls on a Friday night..."Livin' La Vida Loca" Ricky Martin

*the many nights of riding dirt roads..."Louisiana Saturday Night" Mel McDaniel, "You Never Even Call Me by my Name" David Allen Coe

* senior year..."Closing Time" Semisonic, "Don't Look Back in Anger" Oasis, "Time of Your Life" Green Day

*working in the kitchen at the local youth camp during the summer..."A Change Will Do You Good" Cheryl Crow, "Sweet Emotion" Aerosmith

*dancing with the girls..."One Headlight" The Wallflowers

*more boyfriends...anything "Monster Ballads", "Right Where I Need to Be" Gary Allen, "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" Poison, "1979" Smashing Pumpkins...

*days performing in my college chorus group..."Walking on Sunshine" Katrina and the Waves, "Footloose" Kenny Loggins

*visiting my bf at college..."Testify to Love" Avalon, "One of these Day" FFH, "These Thousand Hills" Third Day

*my Granny's funeral..."Sweet, Sweet Spirit" Hymn

*my Great-Grandmother's 90th birthday..."Holy Ground" ? (not technically a hymn?...)

*mine and the hubs song when we were dating..."I don't Want No Scrub" TLC...KIDDING
"Drops of Jupiter" Train

*my wedding..."Shine On Us" Phillips, Craig and Dean

*mission trip to Honduras..."In Christ Alone" Phillips, Craig and Dean

*mission trip to Ecuador..."Carrie" Europe (it was playing in our cab in Ecuador!)
"Praise You in this Storm" Casting Crowns

*the day I found out I was expecting..."Daughter" Pearl Jam, "I Thought I Loved You Then" Brad Paisley, "There Goes My Life" Kenny Chesney, "Sweet Caroline" Neil Diamond, "Daughters" John Mayer (I heard all of these that very day...I kid you not! That's how I knew from the very beginning she would be a girl! :D)

Oh, I could go on forever, I think.

How fun it is to look back and remeber the soundtrack of my life. I encourage you to do the same (just 'cause it's fun...), and I will leave you with a little motivation to help you get started. Clint says it best...



9 comments:

Kristin @ Yellow Bliss Road said...

Love this! I am such a huge fan of music, and there are so many songs that really touch my heart and that I can relate to on so many levels. Great post - I can place some memories with your song choices as well!! (No Scrubs HA!)

Thank you for your kind words on my blog post. We all have a wonderful story to share, don't we? And yes, I will definitely share these stories with my son. :))

Kristin @ Yellow Bliss Road said...

BTW, love that Clint song too...I may have to blog about mnusic in my next Wednesday's Walk post!

Gottjoy! said...

This is a great post and you have a great memory! I don't know if I could remember the titles and artists of the songs in my life. I listened to a lot of Culture Club and Duran Duran growing up (yuk now!), so that would be at the top of my list! And Ricky Martin's song brings back a lot of memories=)! This was a great post!

Lori said...

Champange Supernova and Imagine were the first two that I was with you on and then the list kept going and I remembered most of those from those specific times too!

I find it very funny that you and Tara were listening to Sheryl Crow and Aerosmith at Youth Camp:)

Good post!

Caroline said...

I love a lot of those same songs and I seem to connect a lot of sons with special dates. Great post too.
Have a great Wednesday !!
Caroline

Melanie Eccles said...

Such a fun post!

And thanks for your lovely comment on my wedding showers! I, too, was born in November...so who knows...maybe in 22 years, your little girl will be using her bonnet as a hanky! :D

Jenilee said...

I have been to Honduras! so fun! and I love how certain songs bring back certain memories. I have so many as well. :)

Linda said...

Wow! That was a long list of songs! My memory isn't that good when it comes to song titles. You are good.

But I do love music and yes, it is a big part of our lives.

Thanks for sharing today. I linked up late...hope you will come over to my blog when you get a chance..

Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Lori said...

I have you a blog award on my blog and I also tagged you in Three - check it out and play along!