Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Birthdays





Last week was my birthday. I am 30.

"Good-bye, 20 something. Hellooo, sunscreen and night serum."

Overwhelming dread consumed me as the day approached, sure that I would wake to find my body full of arthritis, my vision not so great, and the need for false teeth just around the corner. Instead, I had a wonderful day filled with surprises from my amazing husband, laughter and snuggles from my not-newborn-but-still-new-to-me daughter, and fabulous food and shopping with 2 of my favorite gals on the planet...my mother and mother-in-law. Not to mention, the numerous birthday cards and well wishes sent my way by a multitude of friends and family...

As I reflect on my 30th birthday, I look back and see how special April 15 has been for me over the years. (Besides being the day I began life and all...)

I guess the birthday memories really begin when I was 12. I was in 6th grade, and I got my first special {monthly) gift. I was SO excited. (If I had only known how tired I would be of this special "gift"...of the bloating and the cramping...) I remember my mother bought me a pink ice ring (pink ice...remember that?) to commemorate the occasion. (I'm pretty sure it wound up in my ex-boyfriend's dresser...)

On my 13th birthday, we were playing softball in the park on a bright, sunny day. I threw the ball WAYYY up in the air and the girl beside me yelled, "I got it!" Well, guess who go it...me. Right in the eye. A trip to the ER and a week behind me my eyeball began to turn white again, instead of red from all the blood pooled in it. Yeah, will always remember that one...

The day I turned 14, a girl in my class at school was having a party at her house. (Present day...she is one of my best friends in the whole world, though at the time we hardly knew each other...) I had asked my boyfriend whom I was MADLY in love with to go, and, of course, he accepted. (Junior high parties were all the rage...) Though I have no idea what I was wearing, my boyfriend (the one with the pink ice ring) was dressed to impress in tight black jeans and a blue polo shirt. I thought he was so handsome...before the night was over, he delivered another special birthday gift, my first real kiss. Every girl remembers her first kiss, especially if it was with her special guy on her special day, and I am no exception. I will always look back on that day with warm memories of young love and innocence...

There have been lots of other things, good or bad, that have happened on my birthday. I have an aunt and a cousin that share the same birthday as me, and in 2007, my very special "nephew" Jack was born on my birthday! :) (LOVE YOU JACK, JACK!)...falling where it does, Easter has been on my birthday (several times, actually)...taxes are due (I know, right???)...I've had people that were special to me, relatives or church members, who have passed away on or right before my birthday...and, after years of hope and prayer, I was expecting our daughter, Ella, on my birthday last year (though I didn't know it yet!)

So, when I think about the amazing things that have happened on my birthday, I say "BRING 'EM ON!" (It's better than the alternative!) :D

"All the world is birthday cake, so take a piece, but not too much."- George Harrison

14 comments:

Lori said...

You did great with your first WW!! Love me some Jack Jack too! I didn't realize all those things happened on your birthday - fun!

PUT A PICTURE OF ELLA ON YOUR BLOG!!! Would you like for me to add it for you?

Carrie said...

Lori, Yes, actually...that would be great! I just want to add one of her, not replace the one of me and J. THEN one day soon, you can teach me how to replace "Six Fores" with a big pic. of us all! :)

The Wilson's said...

Happy Birthday Carrie!! Yeah 30 isn't so bad, 31 isn't either:) Love seeing that sweet little Ella on here! Take care!

Linda said...

Carrie...Happy Birthday! I remember when I turned 30...and it was thirty years ago this August. Yup...I am twice your age sweetie. Life just keeps getting better...hang in there! (:>)

Happy Wednesday!

Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Beth said...

Carrie,
I LOVE the picture of you and Ella in your header! IT is absolutely precious!!!! YOu do have quite an eventful birthday! I'm enjoying your posts!

Happy Birthday! Thirties aren't too, too bad! I was just talking about how this year I would be 32! Unbelievable!!!!

Caroline said...

Happy birhday late. I'm 45 and I remember a lot of good things happened in my 30's.
Have a great day !!!
Caroline

Tina K Rogers said...

happy late birthday carrie!!! you header pic is absolutely beautiful! God has truely blessed you and your family! i want to meet the beautiful ella charles! and i LOVE her name by the way!

Melanie Eccles said...

What a fantastic story, Carrie! thanks for commenting on my post so I could find yours! I'm so glad I did. :D

Happy 30th! You look fantastic!

Lisa said...

Happy birthday! You've had some eventful ones!

My husband was also born on 4/15. He says its the day Lincoln was shot and the day the Titanic sank...case you wanted to add any events. :)

I am happy for each bday I get. I read a card "birthdays...can't live without 'em!"

Heather said...

Wow, sounds like you had a lot of special things happen on your birthday. :)
Thanks for visiting my blog!
~Heather

Kim said...

What a beautiful picture of your daughter and you in your header or so I assume. Great birthday memories. I am gald you had a great one this year!

I felt the same on my 30th b-day, totally dreaded it. Next month I will be 35. I am still dreading it, ha!

Gottjoy! said...

Happy Birthday. I remember crying (not really...just bellyaching) weeks before my 30th. I lived. The anticipation was much worse than the actual day. Enjoyed reading all the things that have happened on your day=)...

Jenilee said...

Happy Birthday!!! Thank you for joining in with your birthday memories! :) It's nice to meet you! :) I LOVE your header picture... so precious!

Kristin said...

Hope you had a great Birthday!