Thursday, November 12, 2009

SHE IS HERE!!!

I can not believe she is finally here. We wanted to wait a little longer, but the Lord has
His perfect timing. The past couple of days have been really hard, but I thought I would share with you the events that led up to the arrival of our little, tiny miracle.

Monday I began to have the feeling that something wasn't right. Nothing had changed physically, but I had a feeling I could not explain. I woke up Monday morning determined to take a shower because I felt like it might be the last chance I would have before she was born. Little did I know that I would be right. Again, I absolutely can not explain it, except to say that I do feel like the Lord sometimes uses those feelings to prepare us for what lies ahead.

Monday Ella's ultrasound was fine, except she did not practice breathing, which is not uncommon in her age (plus all the meds I was taking), but then her heart rate started to dip some during the day. It had happened before, but, again, I just felt like things were different. My doctors put me on continuous monitoring, and gave me another ultrasound that night, which was fine except, again, she would not practice breathing. I called Jason (who was planning to go to Andalusia that night), and convinced he and my Daddy to come spend the night Monday night. Hurricane Ida was set to hit the coast, and there was talk of closing the bridge in Pensacola. I really wanted Daddy and J to be with me and Mama when she was born, and I felt like I wasn't sure if I would make it through the night without delivering Ella. So, they came. But, Monday night passed and still no baby.

Tuesday I woke up with that same weird feeling, and my sweet nurse told me that Ella's heart rate had still been dipping through the night. I asked her if she thought that I would deliver Ella. Though she wasn't saying much, I could tell she was nervous, and she paged one of the resident doctors who came in my room and told me my anxiety was getting the best of me, that I should think positive thoughts and that we would see how my ultrasound went that day. Five minutes later, Dr. Doback, one of the two main doctors handling my case, came in and did an ultrasound, and could not get Ella to move. He said we had one hour, and that I needed to get my Daddy and Jason here right away. From that point, things moved very quickly, and I got to see Jason walking through the door as Dr. Doback was wheeling me into the operating room. He was not allowed to come in with me because since I had back surgery, they weren't sure an epidural would take, so they decided to put me under general anesthesia. Since my delivery, I have learned that Dr. Doback does not usually go into surgery with his patients, and Jason and I have discussed how much that meant to us that he was with me. We feel like that is just another way the Lord was looking out for me and Ella, and we believe Dr. Doback is a gift to us from God. We're not sure if it's just because he loves the Tide like J, or what, but whatever the reason he chose to be with us, we are very greatful, and I feel like he is the reason things went as well as they did. So thank you, Dr. Doback...you are forever in our hearts and lives.

Looking back, I am really thankful that I was, in a way, prepared, as it made seem things less scary. Of course the rest of Tuesday is a huge blur, and I was completely out of it the rest of the day. I vaguely remember people who visited, and bits and pieces of conversations. It was only today that I remembered Jason bought me a necklace with Ella's birthstone that day, and he also bought her a tiny ring with hearts and her birthstone. He wanted us both to have something special to celebrate her birth. Did I tell you I have the best husband ever?

Yesterday I woke up thinking what a breeze my C-section had been, and how I was not even in pain. What I didn't realize was that I had an IV hooked up with medication that they later told me was 13 times stronger than Morphine, and all I had to do was push a little button to receive the meds, and that I could get a dose of it as often as every six minutes. One of my great resident doctors came by and told me that they would be unhooking that and the magnesium drip at 11:00 yesterday morning. I remember her telling me to hit the button before they unhooked me and before I attempted to get up, and I remember thinking how that would probably not be necessary. Well, I guess I didn't realize how often I pushed my little button, because when 11:00 rolled around, for the second time during this hospital stay, I thought I would not make it through the day. I got up to find lots of blood, which really scared me, but everyone reassured me was completely normal. Then as I tried to eat before my shower, I discovered I couldn't keep anything down, which is REALLY fun when you have stitches and staples in the muscles of your stomach that you use for many things but just don't realize it. Not only did they have to cut me across my stomach, but Ella got stuck so they also had to make a vertical cut in my uterus. Super fun.

I finally made it to the shower, and then I was faced with the task of changing rooms. Even though my sweet family did all the work, I felt so overwhelmed, and I began to be overcome with emotion. Plus, I had not even laid eyes on my daughter.

We got moved, and then I went to meet my sweet Ella. I did not know how much I loved her until I saw her. I came back to my room to find some friends and family who had come to visit, and they provided a much needed distraction from the pain, and the fact that our baby girl was what felt like miles away hooked up to a bunch of machines. When my sweet company left, my sweet mother was left to take care of me. I know I have said this before, but I could not have made it here without her, my daddy, and Jason. My mother has been here to carry me around in the wheelchair, listen to me, cry with me...and she has never once complained. Not once. I am amazed at her strength and love, and again, I thank the Lord above for such a special woman as my mother. I hope I can be half of the mother she is.

As I was crying through the pain with my stomach feeling like a watermelon, she assured me that I would be better every day that passed. After an exhausting day for her, she went to stay down the hill at the Ronald McDonald house. We were fortunate enough to be able to reserve a room there (another blessing from God), and until I get out of the hospital, a family member has to stay there or we will lose our spot. I have not been there yet, but my mother and Jason say it is amazing. I am so thankful we will be able to stay close to Ella without the costs of hotel fees. I will also be forever thankful to whatever genius came up with this idea.

Last night, Jason stayed at the hospital with me and, of course, got no rest, as he had to wake up and help me walk to the bathroom, which proved to be a long and daunting task. When you wake up at 2:30 in the morning to go to work, every moment of sleep lost is huge. Again, what would I do without him? About 12:30 last night, I was overcome with emotion (and hormones?) and became almost hysterical thinking of Ella, which, again is not ideal with a stapled stomach. My wonderful nurse came and got me, though, and we went to see my baby girl for about an hour in the middle of the night. I have been so surprised at how much I have been crying over Ella. Afterall, Jesus has blessed us by watching over her from the moment she arrived. She has, so far, had to have no medications, or even oxygen, which is not always the case with premie babies. Her breathing has been fine, and all of her nurses assure us she is doing wonderful. Still, there are moments when I am consumed with the fact that she is so little and helpless, and there are times I find myself begging the Lord to take care of her, to make her healthier and stronger and to keep her safe. My faith is in Him alone, but Satan uses quiet moments to instill doubt and fear deep in my heart. Please be in prayer about that.

Still, today has been much better. My pain has been decreasing, and my mood has been improving. Mother and I visited baby Ella in the NICU unit today, and she is doing very well. She has lost a little weight, which is to be expected, but other than that she is pretty and perfect. To us anyway. When Jason got here after work, we went back to see her, and I got pretty upset again. I am feeling better now after some prayer and comfort from J and my awesome nurses. I hope things continue to get even better and better as the days pass. I can't wait to start our new life with our little girl, and I can't wait for all you who have prayed so hard and kept us in your thoughts to meet her! Please keep praying for me and my family. I know we have some long days ahead...

14 comments:

Heather said...

Carrie, you are going to be an absolute wonderful mother. I sit in tears as you talked of your mom, I miss my mom so much and I think it has gotten worse with age. All the things she's missed and the problems I've had I have not had her to run to, so cherish your mom, which I know you do. I pray that your pain goes away and God places a peace in your heart, Satan loves to get us when we have idol times. Sounds like little Ella is going to be great. I pray that everything keeps going well and you and J get to take that little bundle of love home soon. Take care of yourself and call if you ever need anything.

Heather said...

And after writing my book, I forgot to tell you she is absolutely beautiful.

Karen said...

Carrie, just wanted you to know that we are still praying for you and little Ella - I'm praying that she will be home with yall by Christmas!! I think with all you have been through that it is natural to just be overwhelmed sometimes. God knows what we need though and he sends the people we need to reassure us of his constant protection and love.
Thanks so much for giving us the update and I pray that you will contine to feel better and have less and less pain. God bless!

mandy said...

She is beautiful and we are so thankful that she is here! praying for you! Even though we are not suppose to worry about our children, we do! WE love you guys and are praying for you! Hope to meet her soon!

Melissa said...

Carrie, I just want you to know that we are praying for you, Baby Ella, and your family. She is beautiful. I have been so touched by your stories. I know God's presence is with you all and I know that your faith in Him continuously grows. HE is an AWESOME GOD!
You and Jason are going to be wonderful parents. There is nothing like being a Mom. :)
Please let me know if I can do anything to help.

Much Love,
Jason, Melissa,
Hayden & Meredith Nall

Lynn Castleberry said...

Thanks for sharing what you have been through and how awesome God is to each and everyone of His children. You are constantly in my prayers. God bless and we love you!!

Shonna said...

So glad to hear your pain is gradually getting better and remember to take it easy:) I can only imagine how hard it must be to leave little Ella in the NICU, but we know she is being well taken care of and you will be at home with your miracle soon!! Jason is a super sweet husband and daddy and I can't wait to see the gifts he got for his girls. We love you all and continue to pray for God's will to be done in your lives.

Unknown said...

Carrie, you are still in my thoughts and prayers. While I was reading this, I couldn't help but tear up. You are going to be a wonderful mom! You've got the biggest heart of anyone I know and your faith is AMAZING! Keep holding on to it and all of you will be home before you know it! Love you!

Beverly B. Beck said...

Carrie, you and Baby Ella are such inspirations! You both are great witnesses to prove God's love for us. I can't think of anyone any more capable of being a wonderful mother than you.....you have great mom's around you to help you out along the way. Please know that I am thinking of your entire family and praying for peace and great health for all! I love you so much! Baby Ella is beautiful, just like her momma!

Anonymous said...

I love you and your strength! And it's ok to cry over her, and over everything else--you're a mommy now...we do that often I think! You have been through so much, and it's emotional enough when you have, what everyone remotely refers to as a "normal" delivery (is there a such thing!? hehe!) Your husband sounds wonderful, and I already know your mom and dad are wonderful. You've spent so much time complimenting them that you need to also step back and realize how wonderful YOU are...what you've already done for this beautiful baby girl. I think about you often. As everyone else has said, if there is anything at all that you need, do NOT hesitate to call me. I love you and I think you are doing a wonderful job already.

The Daniel Family said...

Carrie, No oxygen is awesome. I'm still waiting for that day to come for us. It sounds like Ella is doing great. I hope you realize how far ahead she is not needing the oxygen.
NICU life is HARD but it doesn't last forever. It's ok to be a wreck but please know that everyday will get easier...you'll still have a bad day every so often but that's ok. Bringing them home is so worth it.

Still checking in and praying.

Brittany

Unknown said...

Hello Mr. and Mrs. Fore! I was so happy to hear of the birth of little Ella. You guys have been truly blessed. I will keep you in my prayers, and can't wait to see little Ella someday. Have a great Thanksgiving and happy holidays,

Mac

DeAnne DuBose said...

I am so glad things went so well! YOu are a great mother! Look how far you have come! Hang in there! I tried calling you today, but I guess the number I have for you doesn't work. Give me a call 488-0691 and I would love to come see you and bring baby Ella her presents. Just let me know when a good time would be. I'm so proud of you! Miss you like crazy and hope to see you soon.
DeAnne

The Wilson's said...

Carrie your little Ella is precious! We are still praying for you and your family! C-sections are no fun and I made it through my 3rd one so I know you can do it! Each day it will get easier to move around and the pain will diminish. I thought of you and Ella each day that I was in the hospital and it gave me a small idea of what it would be like to be in there for so long. It seemed like the 3 days that I was there lasted forever! I hope all continues to go well.